Friday, October 3, 2008

APPLESAUCE...APPLESAUCE...APPLESAUCE

Once upon a time (Monday), RoseAnna (my relatively cool younger sister) bought all of the pint jars in the Uintah Basin and I drove (with my boys) for three hours (**sigh**) so that we could have the joyous experience of canning applesauce together. As it is a very sticky and drawn out process, we decided to tag-team our canning so that our kids could entertain each other. So with two Kitchen Aid fruit and vegetable strainers and two steam canners, we made 90 (NINETY, QUATRE-VINGTS DIX) pints of applesauce. Seriously, 90 pints. We ran out of jars so RoseAnna has like 20 pints stored in freezer bags in her very spacious freezer.

So if there's a natural disaster we'll be able to live for a few months on applesauce. Call us if you want some. 1-800-CRZ-YGRL. That's probably a real number to something unpleasant, so don't really call it.


Jacob and Carter spent three days pretending to be Diego from "Go Diego Go" and looking at a super exciting catalog for really expensive toys.

We made such a mess in RoseAnna's kitchen that we had to eat at the park which was super fun.
Just a sample of the above mentioned mess--which by the way, we had to clean up mid-process so that the missionaries could come over for dinner. Carter and Jacob were completely enthralled with the missionaries and kept saying things like: "Hey mishimaries, do you need cheese?" (Carter). "Mom, I want to ask the mishimaries if they know anything about tractors" (Jacob). After dessert, one of the elders played the guitar and was just using the pick. Carter walked over to him and asked him to "play it like this" while making huge strumming motions on his tummy. He's a goofball.

Oh, and Will (16 months old) got his second tooth.

8 comments:

We are the Dall family said...

Wow, I wish I could have been at that party. I need applesauce that I can put in storage and not in the freezer where it needs to be eaten with in two weeks or else it is bad and needs to go in the garbage.......

Circe said...

Yeah for you girls! You are my canning idols.

Todd and Jordyn Johnson said...

Grandma Bradshaw saw your blog and post about canning and is very proud to call you family! I was blog stalking and she had me show her everyone's blogs! The Joy! You guys are so fun!

JN said...

SERIOUSLY, how do you can!! The boys are so cute.

We are the Dall family said...

Thanks for the offer. I would love to come do applesauce.....but I don't have any apples nor a place to put it. But I appricate the offer. Maybe next year??.... sigh....

anne said...

Ahh sister time is so fun! I'm glad the kids actually let you get it done.

Chad and Kayla said...

you go girls! The only thing I canned this year was one batch of pear jam. Then we decided we'd try moving instead :) Maybe next year!

Emily said...

um...wow. 90 quarts is a LOT of applesauce, I don't know if you noticed. Where did you get all those apples?
Seriously, what a mammoth project. Once I started canning applesauce at 10:00 pm and my mom came over and laughed at me.