So, I went to the salon yesterday (thank you
Chelsi for watching my boys) to get my hair done for Jeremy's swanky work party that I had to borrow a dress for because I do not own "cocktail attire." I love getting my hair done, but I do not know what it is about salons that brings out the worst in women. It seems like every time I go, no one is ever saying anything nice. Maybe the fumes from the haircare products activate the
beeyotch switch and the women just can help the rude, bitter, ornery comments from flying out of their mouths. Yesterday's complaining session was about Christmas. How decorating makes such a bleeping mess and how annoying Christmas music is and how it never feels like Christmas anymore. The girl who cuts my hair wondered if it was the economy or the warm weather that was making people not feel excited for Christmas. I want to scream, "IT'S BECAUSE YOU'VE FORGOTTEN CHRIST! Everything else is just a symbol of Him and his love for us. DON'T YOU GET IT? It has nothing to do with the economy or the weather, it has everything to do with YOU." But since I'm a coward I didn't say anything. The conversation has been bothering me all day because I'm excited that it's Christmas time and I love getting ready for Christmas and all of the time consuming festivities that go along with it.
So, a little too late, here's my rebuttal.

My super-cute and wonderful former roommate,
Kristin, gave me this FANTASTIC book when we were roommates eight years ago. It's called "Shepherds, Why This Jubilee?" by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland. It's two different talks about the Christmas season and the Savior. If you're feeling too much like Ebenezer this year, I recommend that you read this book and then the one by Mr. Dickens. They always make me feel better and help me to feel the Christmas spirit.

Merry Christmas from my soapbox to yours:)
10 comments:
Great way to put it. I am excited for Christmas too and all the time we get to spend with family!!
I agree with all you said. I love Christmas and the feelings that come with it. I also think that the fumes make women`s brains work incorrectly because I find that there is gossip and negative words every time I get my hair done, no matter the time of year.
Amen sister! Thanks for the Christmas card.
Way cute background! I love your rebuttal. I just was part of a conversation that went like that too, I'm stressed...blah blah blah. I thought I must be missing something, but really I HAVE something. We miss you
So true! (about the hair salon being a grumpy place too) but mostly about the reason that people don't get excited anymore... I am like you, I love the holidays! Happy Holidays!
Amen and AMEN! Christmas is my favorite and always will be my favorite. Like you, I think all of the decorations and extra parties and such are what make it so special. What better reason is there to celebrate than for the birth of our Savior?
p.s. Thanks for the book suggestion!
I love Christmas too!! Maybe if everyone stopped worrying SO much about the things that really don't matter..presents, lights etc. The could focus a little better on Christ,.
Very well put. I love Christmas too and it makes me sad when people are grumpy about it. It's such a great time of year!
Amen. I for one love the Holidays. Everyone is usually so much happier.
I like this quote from W.T. Ellis--
"It is Christmas in the heart that puts Christmas in the air."
Post a Comment