Sunday, June 22, 2008

Ragnar Relay

We did it! We ran the Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay from Logan to Park City. It was AWESOME.
180.5 miles
12 runners
2 vans
1 million gallons of water

Becca ran leg 3:
5.6 miles--moderate
4.9 miles--moderate
5.1 miles--moderate

Jeremy ran leg 4:
5.1 miles--moderate
3.1 miles--easy
5.0 miles--HARD





Our team was called The Might Mighty Firecats. Our van had bull horns on the front. I think it really fits our team name:) We met our team in N. Ogden and drove to Logan (after a fairly stressful search for lost keys). Our first part of the relay went through the Cache Valley over Avon Pass and into the Ogden Valley ending at Liberty Park.



Here I am running through Paradise or somewhere. I look like I'm walking but I was really running. I was NOT prepared for the heat. I had to walk like three times and I almost didn't make it. Luckily, there were kids sitting on their driveways with hoses spraying runners as they went by. I had Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince on my iPod (thanks Diane) to keep me company. It was a very difficult 5 miles and yet it was still fun! Here's our very anti-climactic hand off. Meet Mr. and Mrs. Slowski.
Jeremy's first leg was just as hard as mine and was even hotter. He said the same thing about the kids with hoses--they were life savers. He made a very impressive sprint for the exchange point.

Here we are after our first legs, hoping to survive our next two.


We ran through some of the prettiest parts of Utah. I love breathing mountain air, it was the thing (next to family) that I missed the most when we lived in DC. This was such a beautiful race course.

This is our team captain, Clint. He's Burdette's good friend and roommate who is marrying Katrina's good friend and roommate, Heather.

This is our friend Shane running our second leg. It was in the dark and we ran from Trappers Loop into Mountain Green and up to East Canyon Reservoir. Jeremy and I ran through quiet residential areas. It was a much easier 5 miles/3 miles for us. As Jeremy put it, "It was like night and day." Literally.

When we finished this leg, we met up with Burdette in Morgan at one of the resting/sleeping points. Each team has to have three volunteers and since Burdette was injured and couldn't be on the team (he was the original team captain), he took two of the volunteer shifts and his friend took the other.

Each team has two vans and our other van was full of really fast runners which meant that we didn't get much sleeping time (our van had really fast runners too, but Jeremy and I slowed us up quite a bit so the other team had more resting time). So we left Burdette in Morgan and drove to our next exchange point so we could sleep for a little bit.

5 comments:

We are the Dall family said...

Wy to go!! You two are awesome!!

RoseAnna said...

Next time try to make the hand off a little more exciting. You could have added some flair to the hand off. Love ya!!

Melanie said...

I just have to say 2 things:
You are awesome
You are crazy

good job though!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! What a great accomplishment--enjoy the rest for a while before you start training for next year.

Casey said...

Jeremy's looking a little tired. Congrats on the finishing.