Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Home Improvement--Not the Sitcom

Watching the Dall family (Jeremy and Becca--not his brothers or his dad) doing home improvement is a lot like watching America's Funniest Home Videos. We don't know how to do anything. We just used a drill for the first time last week. It wasn't disastrous--but only because we weren't making a picnic table for the Queen of England. However, if she wants one, we know how to assemble picnic table benches.

Our deck was in desperate need of refinishing as you can tell from the below picture. I thought it was a project that a) I would have to do alone due to Jeremy's very busy work schedule, and b) I COULD do alone. I was wrong on both accounts. Do you know how much work it is to refinish a deck? I did not. Look how many railing slats we have. Almost a million. I thought it would take two days, tops to finish. It took four ENTIRE days, plus a little more.



In the middle of that project, I started another one. Building a picnic table. Jeremy's dad helped us get the wood and Burdette, my awesome brother, came down from USU and helped us assemble the table...and paint. I was supposed to have that done, but due to the above mentioned project had not come anywhere near painting all the boards. Burdette stayed way into the dark hours and assembled everything but the benches, leaving that job for the ever capable accountant and his wife who likes to stand around. (Hey Melanie, Krista, Shawnee, and Kayla remember that YSA activity that advertised "Standing Around" as one of the highlights of the activity?)

Anyway, we are really awesome at using drills so it only took us a little longer to assemble the benches than it took Burdette to assemble the entire table. Hey Burdette, can you make a balance sheet? Just kidding, Burdette is like MacGyver and Martha Stewart put together, he can do anything.













Finished projects.
Anyone wanna come over for a picnic or to admire our deck?


6 comments:

Melanie said...

I had totally forgotten about that activity. I am glad that it provided something for everyone though. I look at it this way - the projects are done and they look great. Why dwell on WHO did what and HOW it got done? Not important. Any great project is a project where I didn't have to contribute a whole lot!

Emily said...

Hey, they look awesome. We definitely will have to come and admire them in person...now that we can!

Gage said...

First of all - we want to come over for a picnic. The deck looks fabulous.

Second. I totally remember the "standing around" activity although I had totally forgot it until you mentioned it. I laughed out loud.

JN said...

I want to come over for a picnic. It looks great! I think I should think more like you...I can totally do house projects by myself:)

Circe said...

That looks so great! I think it will increase your property value at least 20,000 dollars (I watch a LOT of HGTV so I would probably know!) And we totally want to come try out your rad picnic table.

Chad and Kayla said...

Wow Becca, I'm so impressed! Of course I want to come admire it in person! I had also forgotten about that activity, you have such a good memory!